An automated EIDR integration is possible, even if you have multiple title management systems. You will need your tech team to build or piggyback onto existing technology. Here’s what they need to know.
- An API that will allow your title management system(s) to connect to EIDR’s registry (we have all the documentation they will need).
- The API should check for your new title in EIDR as you enter the name into your title management system.
- If the title is already registered with EIDR, you want to be able to select it from a list of candidates (there may be more than one title like yours), and then post the EIDR ID to your title.
- If your new title is not registered with EIDR, you want to enter the required metadata for registration (we have that documentation too) into your title management system, and when you save it, you want your new API to send the title record to EIDR then magically return a response (error or success).
- If there is an issue with the registration, you want an error message that a human can understand (more documentation for your IT team), and you’ll want to fix the problem and resubmit it.
- If there is no issue with the registration, you want the EIDR ID to be added to your title record in your system.
I already know what you’re going to say: “But, Hollie, I have two (or 10) title management systems.” That’s fine. Just get the title management systems’ IT teams to share the APIs. What if two systems try to register the same title at the same time? Build a deduplication process into your registration process. Sharing an API is not a new or experimental concept. The EIDR APIs are shared by all our content creator participants regardless of how automated or manual your integration is.
I know, I know. You have no idea what the release date will be when you create the title for the very first time. That’s ok, just have your IT team build in a placeholder value (something like 12/31/2080), and then when the real release date becomes available, have the system collect the data and send EIDR an update.
I put some workflow diagrams together below for your enjoyment. The first depicts the registration of a title with only one title management system. The second has two, but you can allow as many as you like/need.
The EIDR team is here to help. If you would like to discuss your integration strategy with us, send an email to [email protected], and we will make an appointment. Make sure you engage your tech team; they’ll be doing all the work to set it up.
— By Hollie Choi, EIDR Executive Director